March 19, 2014

Seasons

You know when something good happens to someone and you comment on it and they respond, "I'm blessed." For example, someone buys a new car, their first home, goes on vacation, has a new baby, shares a smiling family photo... And we say "man they are so blessed..." 

I want to challenge us to think about how we "label" our blessings. Let's not equate our God with a genie in a lamp, one that dishes out wishes for good behavior. Let's go deeper and clarify who our God is. 

Matthew 5:3-10
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I want to get to a place where I acknowledge Gods blessing in my struggles. In my hurt. I want to see the bigger picture, more than myself and my little world. I want to see the family friend who decided to begin hospice care as blessed for he WILL inherit the kingdom of God. This man has lived in the joy of The Lord and has suffered humbly. Derek's grandmother who recently passed was blessed by a family that surrounded her as she left this flesh to be eternally in the presence of God. She lived a life that helped bring her six children to The Lord. I want to hug my sweet friend who lost her mom and cry thanks of blessing that she had such an incredible mother grace this earth. I want to declare the child I carried for such a short time a beautiful blessing to our family. I want this season of uncertainty and upheaval to be described as a blessing, one that drew us closer to The Lord and closer together. A good song comes to mind:

What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near
What if my greatest disappointments or the achings of this life
Are meant to show a need this world can't satisfy
And what if trials of this life
...are your mercies in disguise...  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...