January 12, 2011

Snow to Sun in 9 days

What a blessing!!! In 9 days we are trading in the snowy mountains, the icy streets and the sliding buses for some sunny rays, ancient temples and tropical waters! 

Today's forecast in Korea calls for temperatures hovering around 9 degrees. Tomorrow's high is 8 with a low of -2. (I don't want to describe the wind chill.) Snow today, snow tomorrow, and snow 5 days from now. 
Today's forecast in Thailand calls for temperatures between 68 and 78! YES PLEASE! Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the snow! I even like the cold (minus toes that want to fall off)! Snow turns this country into a beautiful winter wonderland. It's more appealing, welcoming and homey with everyone walking around in their layers. You also get to know the people around you more intimately. This morning on the bus, we were packed together so tightly that I was actually TOO hot (mostly from having every part of my body touched by the 80 people packed onto the bus with me.) I can even handle the frigid wind, which sometimes causes me to question my adoration of the snow. 

BUT I'M STILL A PRODUCT OF GEORGIA! I love the SUN! I even like it when it's blinding my eyes! I'll take it! I'll take it's warmth and ability to change my skin from this glaring white to bronzed beauty. I'm excited to see trees with green and flowers in bloom! Oh yeah, and we are excited to explore this new country!

Purposefully, we haven't made too many plans for what we will do in Thailand. We are going with only a couple of nights reserved at hotels in the hope that we can explore together and find those amazing and special places off the beaten track. 

Speaking of, yesterday I came across a place where you can go and feed baby and adult tigers with Thai monks! SIGN ME UP PLEASE! All I can think about is playing and feeding the beautiful tigers at the monastery! You remember being asked when you were little, "If you could be any animal, what would you be?" Well, I always said a lion or tiger! Now I get to play with one! 

...A couple of years ago, I traveled throughout Europe with my two best friends. We had a blast, but we learned one very important lesson...traveling teaches and tests friendships. We came away loving each other more deeply. (I'm leaving out some of the testaments of how that came about.) I've treasured traveling with the people I love as it's a great opportunity to know them better and learn about God's creation and yourselves with new eyes. So, I'm excited beyond words to travel with Derek, my best friend. We are different in many ways (Anlee likes to go, go, go and Derek likes to take it easy), but the beauty that God has revealed to us in bringing us together to share life has me pumped up! Look for pictures of us - Derek under an umbrella and Anlee under the sun! 

Thailand here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...