February 23, 2012

Lent: Ash Wednesday

Lent began Wednesday, February 22, 2012, and ends Thursday, April 5, 2012. Lent is kicked off by Ash Wednesday and will culminate on Easter Sunday. So, what is Lent and why am I writing about it? Lent is a season of repentance, when we confess our sins, spend time in prayer for ourselves and others and fast to develop spiritual discipline that we might be lacking in our lives. This is a time to ponder and wonder at the life, death and resurrection of Christ. I want to share some thoughts on Lent here as I think some of you reading this might not have a background in what Lent is. Here is a quote from our favorite church, Mars Hill, in Seattle:

The Lenten season often provides Christ’s followers with more confusion than clarity. However, there is benefit to thinking about the themes of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection in preparation for Easter Sunday.The Lenten season starts today, Ash Wednesday. For many recognizing Lent, that day marks the first day of a 40-day fast from something.

Ash Wednesday: Explanation:
The use of ashes in the observance of Ash Wednesday, to start a season of repentance and faith, is rooted in the ancient biblical practice of severe repentance and contrition. You can read about it in Daniel 9:3 or concerning the city of Nineveh (Jonah 3:6). Ash Wednesday provides an opportunity to remember our mortality and to ask God to "teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom" (Ps. 90:12). It is also a time to remember Jesus‟ promise in light of our mortality: "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die" (John 11:25-26). We can, as Jesus encouraged Martha to, then reflect on that promise and answer ourselves, "Do you believe this?" (John 11:26). If we do believe it, as we consider our weakness and mortality and remember our salvation and the promises it holds...

"that our heart should be overwhelmed with a love for Jesus that helps us grow in our distaste for sin."

Last night at our Ash Wednesday service, we placed the ashes on our foreheads to remember that "from ashes we came". After we took communion together and spent time in prayer. As I was sitting there, I asked God how he wanted me to grow this season. Here's what I got: "Anlee, you don't share the Gospel of my son with others. You talk about me nonchalantly, but others around you don't know me and I want you to tell them about me." So, wow! Yep. Major conviction about the lack of sharing. I've been pretty wrapped up in me, Derek, and our emerging lives in Midland that I haven't perused other people, friends or ministry outside of our church. I need some discipline and training in sharing the Gospel. And after sharing some ideas with Derek, we've decided that I'm going to use this blog to share the Gospel with those of you who read it.

"Any special attention to the Lenten season that honors God must include heart-level repentance and real faith, not external obedience to church tradition."


 I know most of you already know Christ, but there is a chance that one of you doesn't or wants to know more. So, I'm going to be writing parts of my testimony and daily devotionals here over the next 40 days excluding Sunday's. This season isn't going to be about the pictures of our life or how we are doing, but how I'm doing spiritually as I seek and learn more about my amazing God! I'm just going to ask for understanding and respect in whatever I write.

Tomorrow I will write about the history of Lent and why the evangelical church celebrates/participates in the Lenten season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...