February 26, 2012

Lent: History and Themes

HISTORY

Lent is one of the liturgical seasons of the church calendar that precedes Easter. The name of this season originates from the Anglo-Saxon lencten meaning "spring." The origins of Lent are controversial. Traditionally it is understood as an intense season of preparation for "Catechumens" (converts under training) who were preparing to be baptized on Easter. By the Council of Nicea, A.D. 325, it officially referred to Lent as "forty days" and made it immediately precede Easter. Sundays are not counted as part of Lent, since Sundays are reserved for celebration. The Season of Lent now officially begins with Ash Wednesday because of the imposition of ashes on the foreheads of Christians. This practice is dated back at least from the late-eleventh century.

THEMES

Lent carries in its tide a number of biblical themes, stories, and structures. Again, Lent was a season that the early church used to prepare catechumens—new converts WHO wished to join the church through baptism, which was typically accomplished at Easter. The catechumens were encouraged during the 40 days to engage in regular times of repentance and confession and to seek reconciliation with those whom they had sinned, and been sinned against—the very spiritual disciplines that every Christian should engage in daily. (Matt. 5:24, 2 Cor. 5:18) Now, you don't need a special season to do this. But there also is a benefit in setting aside a specific time to focus on these things. Throughout the history of the church, many believers have benefitted from using the Lenten season to do just that.  (From Mars Hill)

Continuing on in the history of Lent and in my time of discipline. Today is Sunday and therefore a celebration, the Sabbath. But, when you are in ministry, the Sabbath rarely feels like a celebration. Derek gets paid to go to church on Sunday's! I, however, as the ministry sidekick, do not. Sunday's are my time to support and encourage Derek, to be fed spiritual milk and to try hard to find the time to clean our home. In writing this I realize that I really need to give a Sabbath day to the Lord. So, for the remainder of Lent I'm going to practice the Sabbath, a time of receiving and acknowledging God's blessing in my life and a time of rest. Derek's Sabbath is on Friday's. This is his only day of the week off and his time to study, rest and "date me." Friday's are our favorite day of the week because it's the day when we do our married devotionals. It's also our coffee shop day when we sit back with good coffee and read.

As I walk through Lent this year, I keep getting this idea that IN EVERYTHING, do it ask if Jesus himself, personally, asked you to do it. So, when I'm washing dishes, Jesus asked me to take care of them tonight instead of Derek. When I'm playing with the dogs at work, Jesus asked me to tenderly love them and rehabilitate them. When I'm planning devotionals for my youth girls, Jesus asked me to speak his Gospel over his daughters. When I'm too tired to talk to Derek, Jesus asked me to lovely respond to Derek and to cherish him as Jesus himself does. Today, my prayer over each of you is that in all things you will do it as if unto the Lord. Today, you will feel the call of Jesus to do everything as if he asked you to and you will take JOY in doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...