February 25, 2012

Lent: Confusion

CONFUSION ABOUT LENT

There is much confusion in the American Evangelical Church regarding Lent. To be sure, the Bible doesn't require us to recognize seasons like Lent or even Advent. In Romans 14:5, Paul writes that the celebration of holy days is a matter of Christian liberty. Paul continues, "The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord" (Rom. 14:6). Therefore, any recognition of Lent must be done in a way that honors God. As Jesus made clear when he quoted Isaiah to the Pharisees, external actions void of heartengagement are not honoring to God. Well did Isaiah prophecy of you hypocrites, "This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me." Therefore, any special attention to the Lenten season that honors God must include heart-level repentance and real faith, not external obedience to church tradition. So the Lenten season and its encouragement to take an extended time to focus on the death and resurrection of Christ provides us with an opportunity to honor God as well as a temptation toward sin. There can be a real value in marking this season, but only if done with a heart that seeks to honor God.
In the book of Isaiah it says, All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. 64:6. To me, this is why we need heart-level repentance. With real faith and not only external obedience to church tradition we can have joy in what the Psalms proclaim. In the Psalms we read, "Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit." Psalm 32:1-2 Read the next 3 verses of the Psalm:

When I kept silent, 
my bones wasted away 
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
you hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer. Selah
Then I acknowledged my sin to you 
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the Lord" - 
and you forgave 
the guilt of my sin. Selah

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!" Psalm 34:8 A taste of the Lord is good, but imagine the security and peace of dwelling in him. I'm learning what "to dwell" means. The dictionary defines "dwell" as:
1.to live or stay as a permanent resident; reside.
2.to live or continue in a given condition or state: to dwell in happiness.
3.to linger over, emphasize, or ponder in thought, speech, or writing (often followed by on or upon ): to dwell on a particular point in an argument.
4.(of a moving tool or machine part) to be motionless for a certain interval during operation.
Now, what does it look like to dwell in the Lord? To be a permanent resident in his presence; to live or continue in the joy of his love, peace and understanding? King David writes in Psalm 27:4, One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple...for in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling...

So, my prayer for each of you and myself today is that we would have a heart that would seek to honor God in our worship of him. Not for ourselves, not for our salvation, but to love and adore God because he is God. I pray that as we go through the season of Lent that God would create in us a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within [us]...Restore in [us] the joy of our salvation and grant [us] a willing spirit, to sustain [us] (Psalm 51:10,12).  I pray also that he would teach us to dwell in his presence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...