September 27, 2009

Oh all the places you will go

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

You’ll look up and down streets. Look’em over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down a not-so-good street.

I think Dr. Seuss would agree that Korea is a great place to be. This week was full of ups and downs and the "waiting place" but overall I experienced my best week in Korea yet. My kids actually made progress. I had some hug me, which put me on cloud nine; I had some that were kicked out of class for hitting, but I had others ask please, and thank you and push their chairs under their desks. It's hard sometime to remember that they are young kids whose parents want them to learn English.

This week we celebrated Chuesok, Korean Thanksgiving Day. All of the kids wore their hanboks, costumes. They were beautiful. I have posted some pictures below of the kids.


"





"
Amanda and I went to dinner Friday night with a group of English speakers in Ansan to VIPS, a western buffet restaurant. Most of you know how I am about buffets but this was heaven! They had Mexican food and ceasear salad!!!

Saturday we slept in before heading up to Itaewon, the foreigners shopping district. We had a good time, eating subway (TURKEY sandwich!!!), going to the bookstore where I picked up a great read...Walking the Bible. Highly recommend. Walking down the street I spied a man packing tortillas into his backpack. I stopped and asked him where he got them as they are rare here and only found at Costco. He pointed us in the right direction to a store that had all of those wonderful imports that make you feel like home really isn't half the globe away. We purchased taco seasoning, tortillas and nutella!!!

Later in the day we made our way to Insadong where I had bought my guitar the weekend before. It was great to get out and shop a bit. We found great stationary, hand pressed paper and scarves. We walked to the Embassy which was sadly disappointing. Not open on Saturday, so try not to get into trouble during the weekend.




We soon found ourselves at Gyeongbokgung Palace. It was originally built in 1395 during the Joseon Dynasty and served as the main palace in Korea. Later during Japanese occupation it was burnt to the ground. Rebuilt in 1867, the palace gives you a glimpse of ancient Korea. Amanda and I had quite a bit of fun walking the through the gardens...pictures below.






We found a great Italian restaurant to eat a pizza at for dinner, but uh oh, the pizza was covered with mushrooms. I, of course, ate it anyway but was soon deathly ill. We missed meeting up with friends because I was too sick to stay out.

We rounded out the weekend with a nice Hike Sunday mourning up Mt. Suri. It was great just to sit in nature. Sunday was the first day that there was time to just sit and read and I found this highly enjoyable. Living in a foreign country is not always relaxing so finding this quiet time to get involved in a good book was treasured. Sunday afternoon, Amanda, Derek and I ventured up to Onnuri Church. The English service has about 1,000 in the congregation. I LOVED the service. The worship was reminiscent of Wesley worship!!! The sermon was very good and challenged you to grow. Overall, I will be back. Here is a link for the church!

http://www.onnurienglish.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...