September 21, 2009

River boats, overdoses and guitars...

This week I am experiencing my first cold due to the children coming to school with all sorts of illnesses. I have been thrown up on twice, wiped countless runny noses and can't remember how many times I have been sneezed on... I finally succumbed to the sickness. I went to the doctor due to serious worrying on behalf of my school director. She took me to the hospital, BUT she doesn't speak ANY english. The doctor spoke a little bit, enough to scare me to death. She started talking needle talk and then I was adament about feeling much better. We finally communicated enough for me to decline the use of either an IV or an injection in the rear. So, now I am taking six pills 3 times a day and something at night that makes you feel like you are a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater!

I went on a grand adventure over the weekend. I did a short solo hike up Mt. Suri. Absolutely amazing. It was a great time to sit and talk with Jesus. I'm finding that He is moving in ways that I have not experienced him before. I am learning that I can really find a quiet place in the mountains, similar to what I experience in music.
Met up with about 30 English speakers in Seoul for a birthday party. Here is the birthday gifts to our friends:

Amanda and I rocked out our BOOTS!

We took a river cruise down the Han. It was beautiful. At one point we watched a light and water show from the boat that took place on the bridge. It was amazing...until you are soaked from cruising under the fabulous water fountains falling off the sides of the bridge. Add the cool breeze coming off of the water and you get what equals the shivers in 80 degree weather. We then took a taxi with good friends, Jonathan, Krista and Sam (a soldier from Cobb County, GA). Longest taxi ride EVER! We met up with the rest of the group at a place in Hongdae where we met even more English speakers. They really do exist in this country.


Sunday was probably one of the best days I have had yet in Korea. I woke up sick and worried that my throat would do that thing it always does and close up. It was a hard decision to go to church or rest in bed and pray for healing. Church won. Amanda decided to join me. Nancy, my co-teacher who normally picks me up from the train station wasn't able to make it to church so Amanda and I caught a taxi to get there. On the way up the stairs, I met a really cool guy from Cameroon who has lived all over the world. He had some great stories up the 10 flights of stairs to get to the English service. After church, I had a great conversation with a friend from small group who has crushed on the same girl for the past 12 years. She lives in the states and he is stationed here. They have their first date planned in December. He is going back to the states just to take her to dinner. Amazing! My romantic heart was oh so happy to hear his excitement! The two of them are also big Jane Austen fans, so even better.

Next stop, Insadong. I went with another friend from church, Derek, to Insadong where he helped me pick out a good beginners guitar. It was an amazing place, over 200 music stores, I think. Derek had intentions of buying some speakers, but upon arriving we found out that most of the stores are closed on Sunday so he wasn't as lucky. It was a day filled with good conversation and memorable sites and great talk about The BIG Guy. Making pretty great friends here and am exicted to see all the plans that God has made for my time here in Korea. Here is my new guitar and the verse that keeps reverberating in my mind..."Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for JOY!"

(P.S. Thank you to all of you who are praying over spiritual growth here. HE really is taking care of me. Thank you also for staying in touch with me. Your emails warm my heart and your skype calls lift my spirit.
P.P.S. Ashley Pierce ...I brought the pillow case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...