May 11, 2011

One of Many Blessings {School Prayer Group}

The Group of Blessings
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
THIS is really REAL to me...why? Well, I went on a short term mission trip a couple of years ago to the most - and I mean the MOST - amazing place in the world! Barvas! Where is Barvas? Well, first, you have to fly to England. Then you take a short commuter flight to Glasgow. Then, you take a 13 hour drive through the Highlands (...most beautiful country lands in the world...) Then, you take a bridge to another Island. After that, you take a 3 hour ferry to the farthest outer Hebrides, (a chain of Islands closer to the arctic circle than to London.) Once on the Island, you drive yet another hour long drive to a small town, pass through it, until you come to the outer rim of the Island. Now, you can look out across the vast ocean and see America...well, if you have some pretty spectacular eyesight. Anyway, you have finally reached Barvas. How did I get there?!? God sent me. That might seem like a lame claim to some, but it's true. I was praying for God just to affirm my desire to go on a mission and then HE DID! Everything worked perfectly - didn't seem to at the time, but it did. 
The Beauty of Barvas and the Beautiful Friend - Ashley

My sweet Barvas sisters - Rachael and Angela
I went to Barvas and found my love - My Jesus. I also found a passion...sharing his Good News with young women/girls. God sent me to a lovely place to learn how to love on lovely ladies. It wasn't a mission where I was seeing poverty or disease or persecution. What I saw was God's daughters not knowing his infinite love for them. And I mostly saw that in myself. God taught me about that infinite love while I was there through the friendships, vulnerability and sisterhood of the women of Barvas and my mission team. The trip changed my life and I know I wouldn't be the same had not every single experience had happened. 

4 of these ladies were in our wedding if thats any indication of how awesome they are!
So...that leads me to now. Almost...I came to Korea with that same passion - sharing Christ with women who think they fall outside of Grace. God opened that mission field up to me in a big way. First, with Nancy. What LOVE! He gave me a sister! Second, with Amanda! I got two sisters in one day! Next with Mary! Oh man...I met my other half! What I pray for strength to do, she does! It's amazing! With these three ladies pouring into me and building me up, I was able to help start a women's group. How amazing that turned out to be. It really showed me that if I really wanted to serve God as a disciple to women, I would have to really understand what it means to be one. He sent me on this journey of self-reflection and discernment. I have learned so much about sin and how I can fail the Almighty by not seeing Him. Instead, I always saw my Sin! I read a lot of books, I heard a lot of testimonies and through all of it God taught me something new. 

Then, he threw me a curve ball. He gave me Derek. To me, Derek was the missing piece in the puzzle. Without D, I didn't know how to fully love and minister to married women - for one - and women in healthy, Godly relationships. I had a lot of advice, but not a lot of experience. Above all, I have a healthy relationship with my hubby that pours God's truth into me daily. And, being a stubborn prideful cross bearer, I really needed it. Most importantly, Derek gave me tangible Christ-like/minded/guided love!

That long story to say this...women's group ended. Many of us went our separate ways and I was tired. I had lost some of the passion and was wondering around trying to find it again. I tried to replace it with different things, but nope..."For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord"...

While teaching my winter camp at school, I had a girl student who noticed that I had a headache. She gently grabbed my hand and said, "Teacher, I'll pray for you." That spiraled into the coolest thing. We had a later talk where I told her that I was a Christian. She was a bit surprised. (Foreigners here do not have the best reputations for living a life of Christ.) She confessed that she led a prayer group with other girls here at our school. They didn't have anywhere where they could come together and be free to pray over their passions. So, I offered my classroom. Every Monday, these girls come to my class during their lunch time and pour out the love and joy they have for seeing North Korea won for Christ and for seeing our school for Christ. They have taught me endless things for which will forever be on my heart. These girls have a real, abiding love for Christ. It's humbling to see. It's beautiful. I have a special relationship with these girls. We have a language barrier, but as one so boldly pointed out, there will come a day when our languages won't matter and we will all worship together! Oh man! 

So, to finish, to thank these amazing girls, my amazing husband treated all of them to dinner last Saturday afternoon. They feasted on Korean BBQ cooked by defected North Koreans. They met a lady who had escaped from North Korea and they were nothing but smiles! What a gift! 
We met at Starbucks
They were so excited that their teacher was buying them lunch!
Check out the post Mongolian Grill to learn about this restaurant
There was a fire show on the grill
Our food before the grill! Daisy Teacher's was the biggest!
Happy Girls!
They are so amazing!
More amazing-ness!
Daisy Teacher - my co-teacher and fellow sista in Christ
R to L: Lydia (the leader), Jada and D! ohh and food!

I'm not sure where God will grow this passion next, but I know that everything he has done through Barvas, women's group, and these ladies is nothing short of infinite love for me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...