December 16, 2009

Looking for Class


Last week I picked up Bruce Feiler's Looking for Class: Days and Nights at Oxford and Cambridge. It was witty and thoughtful. I really enjoy his writing. I think Mr. Feiler might surpass my favored travel writers as he is able to transport you to the place and time - rather than just give you an itinerary. You guys should check him out. He's from Savannah, Georgia; studied History at Yale; International Relations at Cambridge; and spent 5 years teaching and traveling in Japan. His latest endeavors are traversing the stories of the Bible on a quest of self-discovery and knowledge of the validity of the Word of God.

I really liked this particular book - he wrote the book undercover in one of the most elite colleges in the world. No one but those closet to him knew what he was up to. He did go on to earn his degree from the distinguished university, but while there captured the essence of British elite society and the differences between American collegiate education versus that which you would find in the UK.

...According to him, America wins...

Young, my friend from Athens, will be here tomorrow! I can't wait to see him. I was planning on meeting him at the airport, but was denied the privilege from my boss. Oh well. We are planning to hang out Friday! I'm also really excited because Young is coming to Bible Study next week!!!!!! YAY for Young! I can't wait to show him around his own country and introduce him to the cool people that I have met here. I'm also excited about meeting some of his friends that are still in Korea. A nertz game is being planned as Young has always been an excellent nertz partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...