December 2, 2009

SAY WHAT?!?


On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me
TWO TURTLE DOVES

Dear Santa Claus
I want a puppy for Christmas, please. Please bring me a doll. Please bring me a notebook. Please bring me a toy. Please bring me a jump-rope. Please bring me a book.
Love,
Lilly

-One of my advanced afternoon students. Lilly drew holly leaves and stars on her letter with pastel colored crayons.

My letter:
Dear Santa (aka Mom),
Please send jeans that fit. Please send a nice dress that isn't too short, too small, made of knit material, that doesn't have cats on it or have funny Englishee words on it. Please send oreos in your sleigh in the form of an international care package.
Love,
Anlee Brooke


You can really see the Christmas cheer around these parts! Just kidding. I went hunting Christmas decor at the local E-mart to be disappointed -- they had expensive trimmed trees and bedazzled balls, but nothing that really said, "Anlee, I will make you happy and festive." The door at Holly's Coffee shop has a guy that looks like he's from South Park that says "Merry Christmas" -- he's not smiling. Starbucks is happy to cheer on the holidays!

Today, I was able to teach again. The books finally came in. This equals a happy teacher and happy students. We learned today how to make salad. My kids understand tomato, but cannot comprehend potato?!? I played with the 4 year olds for a while. I love those little guys so freaking much! They like to fly like airplanes so I think playing with them equals strength training. They also like to ride on my feet down the halls, essentially pulling my pants down each time. It makes for a funny scene.

I thought we were having a good day in my after school phonics class. The kids hardly listen, but have shown real progress and are beginning to respect me as an authority. I think they all are ADD, however. Main point: class was just fine when all of a sudden one of my boys stood up, balled his fist at another male student, screamed some interesting Korean verses, and proceeded to smack the H#$$ out of the other student. My face hurt when I both saw and heard the smack! I didn't know how to react at first. They both started crying! I recovered and took them both out of class to find that what started the fight in the first place is that one was annoying the other. If I resort to their ways, there would be lots of kids walking around with hand prints on their faces!

So, crisis taken care of, I finished the day helping my director choose Amanda's replacement teacher. I felt so powerful deciding the fate of the potential applicants. That could be a deadly authority. At the same time, I already feel bad for what they will endure in frustration and awkwardness at first. Okay, that sounds harsh. I am settled and happy now, so they will hopefully have an easier time with someone to show them the ropes. (PS, I picked the American over the English. Not entirely sure what came over me, but she seemed more qualified.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...