December 13, 2009

While the kids are away, the Teachers will play

On the road from Anlee Rickerson on Vimeo.


Watch the video above for a short introduction to our ski trip. We left Gunpo around 6:30pm - late! What was supposed to be a noraebang bus (karaoke) turned out to be our school bus - bright yellow with little kids faces on the side. Amanda and I were given seats of honor, segregated away from the rest of the group and first to fly through the window in case of an accident. We didn't mind. After sitting in stop and go traffic, winding through the mountains of Korea and stopping at a rest stop for a bathroom break...sorry I didn't have a camera handy, but the ladies bathroom door said "The story of toilet." It was great! There was also a full garden and ski light in the bathroom. With all of this high class you would expect a western style toilet. Nope - squatters it is. Back in the bus we drove the last 40 minutes to our accommodations - I thought it was too similar to deliverance country. Maybe a run down Blue Ridge restaurant where the patrons could be the dinner would be more exact...I jest! Well, only a little. When we stopped and everyone started getting off the bus, I asked for a translation. They said we were here. I said, where the heck is HERE? Anyway, we stand in the freezing cold air for a few minutes before being welcomed inside by dinner! See below!!!!!
This would be Wilbur. Yep, ALL OF HIM!

Dinner?!? from Anlee Rickerson on Vimeo.


So, walking into the room hoping for something recognizable, Amanda and I found the pig. I had no shame as I videotaped the grill master cutting the back bone of the pig with pliers. As foreign guests Amanda and I were fortunate enough to sit across from the host and giver of the pig. I am pretty sure I offended him severely when I refused a sampling of soju and his homemade mokuli. I managed to steer clear of the soju, but felt obligated to try his homemade rice wine. It tasted a bit like pineapple juice or a wine cooler. Sweet, a little fruity. Everyone dug in to the bountiful plates of pig. There's just something really creepy about eating the meal that is still sitting with it's feet, tail, organs, tongue, etc at the end of the table. I was feeling quite queasy and soon my stomach began to growl. Amanda and I were smart enough to anticipate this meal so we brought along PB&J. See below:

The green bottles on the table are bottles of soju. For each person at the dinner, there was a BOTTLE of soju. I learned this weekend that each green headache contains 20% alcohol. I watched quite a few of my co-workers chug the drinks in honor of my boss and the hospitality. I also watched as many of my co-workers were showered in a champagne explosion. WOW! When the children are away, the teachers REALLY play! Lucy was really helpful in keeping my glass empty. It's really rude in Korean culture to refuse drinks from someone. Most of the time they are drinking in your honor, anyway. But, each time my glass was filled Lucy would stealthily hide the cup under the table. I should have been just as inebriated as everyone else, but thanks to Lucy and plain stubbornness, I was not.

Around midnight, the "seminar" started. This was completely in Korean. I zoned out and went to a happy place of day-dreaming. When I came back, awards were being given out. Still unsure of what's going on, Lucy says "Anlee, are you ready for bed?" HECK YES I AM! So, I go into the room where Amanda, Lucy and several other female co-workers are staying for the night. I wash my face, get into my pjs and lay down the most cushioned mat available on the freezing cold floor. We request the floor heat to be turned on - it is. As we begin to snuggle, Amanda and I declare that tonight we probably will cuddle as it's just too cold not to. A few minutes go by and we are roused by the sounds of fireworks. YEP! My tipsy co-workers brought Roman candles along. We run outside to participate. IT'S TOO COLD! We run back inside just as quickly. Now time for more snuggling! I am able to have a sober/tipsy conversation with a fellow girl at work about Jesus. That was good. It's now around 2am...sleep...not quite. The floor is warming...now the floor is hot. Karaoke going on outside our bedroom door...co-workers running around outside the window chugging cases of Cass (beer) screaming at the top of their Korean lungs...is that you 5am? Now the floor is a furnace. I'm throwing the covers off wishing to be back in my bed spring bed in Gunpo! (WHAT? I thought this would never happen?) Most of you know that I am a bit creeped out by hotel pillows and blankets...well, this place topped the cake! Everything was yellow with age and smelled of mold. I slept on my arm and woke up to it being completely numb. Below is a picture of Amanda, Lucy and I dreaming of sleep yet embracing the morning.

The place where we stayed! Look familiar North Georgia friends?

Finally, after a breakfast of dried-fish noodles, kimchi and other unrecognizable things, we load the bus for the ski slopes...

Stay tuned...it gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...